White Pass & Yukon Route, a successful, historic company engaged in rail, tourism and port operations, based in Skagway, Alaska, has 5 openings for a Brakeman. This is a full-time, seasonal position which offers highly competitive wages & benefits.
The successful applicant must be available typically May 1st through October 1st.
- Initial hires will work in assistant conductor capacity, with opportunity for advancement to conductor and engineer training
- Responsible for taking direction from conductors and train operations management staff regarding the safe movement of passengers and trains
- Duties include but are not limited to interacting with customers, collecting and selling tickets & providing a safe & entertaining customer experience
- Regularly scheduled shifts may last up to 12 hours.
Skills & Requirements:
- Familiarity and compliance with FRA rules
- Ability to receive and follow orders
- Basic mechanical experience preferred
- Previous railroad train service experience is preferred.
- Safety sensitive transportation industry experience is preferred.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Troubleshooting skills in fast-paced environment
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be willing to submit to WPYR’s drug-free company culture. Employees will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English, in person and using electronic devices.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions: (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently, up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must possess a valid state-issued driver’s license or be able to obtain one within 60 days of employment.
- Must possess a valid U.S. Passport and must be free to enter Canada. Must be able to receive a Company sponsored Canadian work visa.
- Must not have had a DUI/DWI conviction within the previous ten years.
- Must have the ability to see and interpret hand signals from near and far; distinguish among red, blue, green, yellow and white colors; visually judge the speed and distance of moving objects; see at night; hear, and, with training, distinguish auditory signals.
- Must be able to work in extreme all-weather conditions and safety sensitive work environment.
- Must be able to follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment required for the job in a safe manner.
Originally posted 1/20/2020
Applications may be filled out online and are being accepted on an ongoing basis. Positions are open until filled. Any questions can be directed to Tyler Rose, Executive Director of Human Resources & Strategic Planning, at email@example.com.