White Pass & Yukon Route (WPYR) based in Skagway, Alaska is seeking a Signal Maintainer. WPYR is a 110-mile common carrier operating in Alaska, British Columbia, and Yukon Territory.
Signal Maintainer Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Install, inspect, and repair wayside signals
- Performs skilled work in connection with the inspection, testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, operation, alteration and repair of wayside signal systems
- Detect signal deviations and defects, and implement remedial action or mitigation efforts
- Use and operate the tools, computerized diagnostic equipment, and field equipment as required
- Mechanically adjust switch gears, mechanical throws, spring rods, electrical cams, and related switch hardware.
- Make minor repairs, supervise crews to repair defects, or coordinate repairs with others
- Inspect completed work to verify conformance to standards
- Prepare inspection reports for management and federal regulators
- Know and apply applicable rules, regulations, and policies
- Perform other tasks necessary to the efficient operation of the railroad
- Manage other projects and perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills and/or Experience
- Knowledge of FRA Track Safety Standards
- Knowledge of Roadway Worker Protection rules
- Ability to learn and understand WPY track safety standards
- Ability to learn and understand WPY operating rules including CROR
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions including freezing temperatures
- Willingness and ability to work holidays, days, and nights
- Ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Carry and use tools such as spike mauls, claw bars, lining bars, track jacks, spiking guns (jackhammers) & other tools normally associated with track work and other right of way maintenance.
- Valid driver’s license and a willingness to obtain CDL
Required Education and/or Credentials:
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum three years of railroad track work experience, electrical system experience, or combination thereof
Those interested in this opportunity should inquire with the WPYR Human Resources Department at:
Becky Jensen, Manager of Human Resources & Employee Benefits, (907) 983-9803, email@example.com
The White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad is a World Class shore excursion annually carrying over 500,000 passengers through Alaska, British Columbia, and Yukon Territory. WPYR is a Class 2 railroad federally regulated in the United States and Canada. WPYR is a passenger railroad with 30 passenger train movements per day over heavy mountain territory.