White Pass & Yukon Route, a successful, historic company engaged in rail, tourism and port operations, based in Skagway, Alaska, has an opening for a Locomotive Mechanic. This is a full-time, seasonal position which offers highly competitive wages & benefits.
The successful applicant must be available March through October.
- Repair & maintenance of locomotive fleet
- Ability to problem solve & repair all aspects and components of locomotives
- Inspection and repair of airbrake systems, truck assembly & DC traction motors
Skills & Requirements:
- Familiarity and compliance with FRA rules
- Welding certification preferred
- 3 years previous experience required
- Troubleshooting skills in fast-paced environment
- Must be able to clearly and effectively read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English, in person and using electronic devices.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions: (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently, up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess a valid U.S. Passport and must be free to enter Canada. Must be able to receive a Company sponsored Canadian work visa.
- Must not have had a DUI/DWI conviction within the previous ten years.
- Must have the ability to see and interpret hand signals from near and far; distinguish among red, blue, green, yellow and white colors; visually judge the speed and distance of moving objects; see at night; hear, and, with training, distinguish auditory signals.
- Must be able to work in extreme all-weather conditions and safety sensitive work environment.
- Must be able to follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment required for the job in a safe manner.
- Safety sensitive transportation industry experience is preferred.
Originally posted 4/3/2019
Applications may be filled out online & and are being accepted on an ongoing basis. Position is open until filled. Any questions can be directed to Becky Jensen, Manager of HR and Benefits, at email@example.com.