Chief Mechanical Officer
White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad (WPYR) is seeking a dynamic leader to assume the role of Chief Mechanical Officer (CMO). The positions’ broad responsibilities will include overseeing maintenance, upgrades, reliability, and ensuring the safety of motive power and equipment. The CMO is head of a department with 30 employees, which maintain a fleet of over 90 passenger cars, 20 locomotives, two steam locomotives, MOW rolling stock, and various track maintenance equipment. The CMO must be a forward-thinking individual, providing leadership towards excellence, in a safe, highly reliable, cost-effective and customer-oriented transportation system. This position is headquartered at the WPYR maintenance facilities in Skagway, Alaska.
The CMO is accountable for the safety and financial management of the Mechanical Department, mechanical engineering, and fleet planning. The CMO will develop and execute capital programs and will oversee the day-to-day activities of the repair facilities, including inspection, cleaning, and servicing.
The Chief Mechanical Officer reports to the Superintendent of Rail Operations and is assisted by the Manager of Locomotive Maintenance. The successful applicant will join a small team of railroad managers each with their technical focus area and each expected to provide support across railroad disciplines. The successful applicant should possess managerial, written, and oral skills as well as familiarity with the Microsoft Suite (Word and Excel.) The CMO should have experience managing a unionized shop floor and will participate in labor negotiations, arbitrations, and grievance proceedings.
The Chief Mechanical Officer must be an expert in the technical fields related to rolling stock equipment including draft gears, trucks and spring riggings, air brake systems, and related federal rules and guidance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Transportation, Business, Operations Management, or related experience.
- 15 years of experience in mechanical, transportation, or other related field with 5 years of management experience.
- Extensive fleet planning and execution, including experience with capital plans and contract management.
- Thorough knowledge of motive power, specifically EMD, and equipment safety rules including steam locomotives.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable railway industry and federal regulatory requirements, including but not limited to AAR, FRA, EPA, OSHA, and Transport Canada.
- Thorough knowledge of railway engineering requirements such as AAR.
- Working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, the Railway Labor Act, and the FELA.
- Knowledge of new and cutting-edge technology in railcar engineering including ECP braking.
- High-level decision making, negotiation, conflict resolution, teambuilding and presentations skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Applicant must be currently authorized to work permanently in the United States and must be able to travel in Canada.
- Applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
- This is a permanent, full-time, salaried, benefited position.
Those interested in this opportunity should inquire with the WPYR Human Resources Department at:
Becky Jensen, Manager of Human Resources & Employee Benefits, (907) 983-9803, firstname.lastname@example.org
The White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad is a World Class shore excursion annually carrying over 500,000 passengers through Alaska, British Columbia, and Yukon Territory. WPYR is a Class 2 railroad federally regulated in the United States and Canada.
Originally posted November 8, 2021